Monday 26 November 2012

Author Interview: Jamallah Bergmen

What is your name (or pen name) and where do you live now?
Well my name is Jamallah Bergman and I live in Atlanta Georgia


Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I’ve always loved to write since I was in my teens, writing about this and that and as I got older, my stories became more explicit. If I didn’t want to be a writer, I would more than likely became a chef since I do love to cook.


What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it what would you say?
My latest book “Special Kind of Woman” is a book near and dear to me because it took a very long time for it to come out (due to edits and pull backs on the release dates). 

This story deals with self-discovery and realization that you never know what the outcome might be when falling in love is not part of the plan.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
Usually it depends, if it’s a really great idea and I’m really into the book, then it will take me a couple of weeks to at least a month. It just depends on how quickly and how short or long the story is


Do you have plans for a new book?
Right now, I have several ideas for story that I had started on but never did finish plus I have some that I am re editing on a story that I hope to have out sometime next year since the story is very sentimental to me.


What genre would you place your books into?
Mainly Interracial or Erotica Contemporary


What made you decide to write that genre of book?
It mainly a genre that I feel comfortable in, I have always been into interracial relationships plus the fact of two people from different races getting together is something that even though years and years ago was taboo, now at days is almost basically the norm. Plus the unity of two people in love regardless of race is a story that has to be told.


Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
I have to say that my favourite one is “If Only You Knew” because it was my 1st book and also because the book has sentimental value for me. Basically I wrote it during a down time in my life, when I was thinking back to days gone by when I was young and had no responsibility. I had remembered during a time when I was in high school, a guy friend of mine who meant a great deal to me during a time when I was severally depressed and felt I never belonged. But this guy ( who honestly to this day has never known that I wrote this book with him in mind and will remain nameless) he always had a smile on his face, always made me laugh when I was down and always cheered me up daily. It was the boost I needed to come to school because I honestly dreaded even stepping into school. But I knew that if he was there, school would be worth coming to daily.


Do you have a favourite character from your books? Why are they your favourite?

My favourite has to be Brooke Langley from “The Lady of Gladstone Manor”, I wrote about her because in a way, she is me. I’ve had a lot of health issues that has caused me to have a lot of social issues. I never wanted to go out in social occasions especially when it came to coming out to meeting people. Brooke has dealt with a lot during her life having always hidden from the world, thinking that she would never be accepted whatsoever because of her looks. I like Brooke had to take baby steps and finally I was able to do just that as far as getting out in the world and meeting with some people. I was welcomed with open arms and I have to say that I have made some great friends because of it.


Where do you get your book plot ideas from? What/Who is your inspiration?
Mainly I get my ideas from life experiences, that is how I wrote my 1st two books…I based them on myself and my life experiences. But other than life experiences, I basically get my ideas from either old movies ( I’m a big old movie buff) or from pictures of very handsome men.


Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
No routine, if a idea comes to me, I sit back and just let the ideas flow thru onto my laptop keyboard


Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I mainly write the book and while I’m in the midst of writing, then I might come up with a title to the story itself.


How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
If I get stumped on a Name of a Place or a Character name, I will go and try to find a name generator or I’ll look for places names that no one has heard of before. Mainly I try to find a name that no one has used before when they name their characters and such.


Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
The women are more than likely to be somewhat shy and quiet in my stories but also some are strong and don’t take crap from anybody. The men have to be alpha males but also they have to be caring and sympathetic as well. I do like for my man to have a bit of emotion, especially when he tells the woman he loves how much he loves her.


Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I suffered one time with writer’s block and it lasted for about three in a half years….that’s when I had to sit back and do some soul searching and that’s how “If Only You Knew” came to be written.


Is there a certain author that influenced you in writing?
As of right now no there isn’t


What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?Right now any of the books from J.R. Ward….she’s an amazing author and a friend of mine got me hooked on her Brotherhood series of Vampires…..Zsadist is probably my favourite and when I read his story I literally was in tears. I think I’ve read the first three books three times each cause they were too good.


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
Normally they don’t because of the fact that they don’t stay true to the book, I can understand adding on a bit to make for more time in the movie but if you go and make a movie try and stay true to the book because people who read the book are going to expect what they read in the book to be on the silver screen. I think the two best that I’ve seen so far has been To Kill A Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice.


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Right now I am not in the midst of reading anything at the moment….I’ve been so busy writing I haven’t had time to sit back and read a good book in months.


Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I don’t think so because honestly there is nothing better than sitting down and actually feeling the cover and pages of a good book.


Special Kind of Woman is available at the following book stores:

Amazon
All Romance
Secret Cravings
Bookstrand
_________________________________________________________________________


Jamallah Bergman was born in Jamaica Queens New York and first started to write small stories when she was around 13. It wasn't until she was around 15 when she started to write about
romance after she read her first romantic novel. It wasn't until she got older when she started to write erotica as well.

Jamallah writes about heroines who are full figured women since the fact that whenever she would read some of the stories she liked so much, she always wondered why there weren't many women like herself as the main character. So she started to write about heroines such as herself, full figured women who only wanted to be loved and show their love to the right man.

In Ms. Bergman's spare time when she isn't writing, she enjoys cooking and collecting cookbooks as well as Colbalt Blue Glass items. She resides in Atlanta Georgia with her teenage daughter who is very artistic as well and loves draw and make little movies as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment